The list goes on and on. It is shocking how many people in one single ‘group’ of people have died from drug overdose. Why is it so hard to be a celebrity? We can all assume that fame & fortune is not as easy as you think. We would all love to be famous for a single day. But, to live a lifetime as an infamous celebrity could be a daunting task. Celebrities lose all of their privacy. Reporters follow them around every where they go. Articles are used to create drama and trash the celebrity whenever possible (because that sells articles). Lies and other taunts are directed at celebrities in order to get a ‘rise’ out of them which makes great news. Celebrities definitely have a challenging life despite all the fame & fortune.
But, C’mom…we do not need to sit here and pity any celebrity. Lets get real! Celebrities have been given a ‘gift’. They have been given opportunities and wealth at a level that 99.9% of the rest of us will never, ever see happen in our lives. They have millions upon millions of dollars. Finances are never a worry for them while the rest of the country (middle and lower class) struggles to make ends meet month to month and pay their electric bill. Celebrities are given fame and have their faces and bodies worshiped on television and social media daily. The Stars are loved and admired by more people than all of you and me have combined! They have a fantastic over-the-top life to live and enjoy. This is why it makes it difficult to feel sorry for any celebrity. This is why it also makes us sick that so many of these highly blessed individuals just throw their fame & fortune away because of drugs and opiates. They should know better.
It is understandable that the ‘normal joe’ who was raised in an abusive family and beaten by his step-father would eventually turn to drugs in order to help him cope with the mental pain. It is common that addicts who abuse opiates are doing so in order to self medicate and give themselves some relief from the grueling thoughts of sexual abuse they have endured in life. The majority of opiate drug users have some serious life issues that are the deep-seeded reason behind their drug usage. Therefore, when we look at celebrities…it becomes pathetic that they turn to opiates and alcohol because they are having a difficult time dealing with the loss of privacy. Celebrities take drugs because they cannot handle fame & fortune? That is a piss-poor excuse.
Celebrities have been given the greatest gift that anyone can imagine. Because of this, they are put in a position where millions of people of all ages look up to them in admiration. People focus on celebrities and every move they make. People search magazines and online sites to read any news they can about their admired Star. In the end, all celebrities have major influence and control over the general public. Because of this, they have a responsibility to set good examples. They should be leading people down the right paths. They should be encouraging their fans to do the right thing and make the right decisions in their life. They are in a position to help change the lives of many people. But, instead…many of them fail to do this. They become ‘disgraced celebrities’. They actually do the opposite and set terrible examples by overdosing on drugs. This says to the rest of the world: “Hey its normal to take drugs and overdose”. “Its cool to take drugs, because that is what WE celebrities do”. Should fans mourn the celebrities they lose to drug overdose? Or, should fans start holding celebrities accountable and demand that they live to a higher standard because of their position of strong influence?
Here is just a short list:When it comes to drugs, it is disgraceful that so many celebrities with so much talent throw their lives away because they turn to drugs and alcohol. Nearly ever month we are hearing about another celebrity or musician who has passed away from a drug overdose. Not that celebrities are immune from addiction, but when you are blessed with such fame & fortune you are also given the mandate to be on your best behavior and be the best example you can be to others. Celebrities have more reason than anyone to avoid dangerous drugs which could be their downfall. And, it turns out…many celebrities are having a very difficult time staying away from drugs & alcohol.
Here is just a short list:
- Anna Nicole Smith — Anna Nicole Smith was a famous playmate she was found dead on February 8, 2007 the reason behind from a lethal combination of the sedative chloral hydrate and various benzodiazepines including Valium.
- Marilyn Monroe — Marilyn Monroe, the beauty queen, died because of an overdose of barbiturates.
- Michael Jackson — One of the most shocking news was when Jackson was found died of acute propofol and benzodiazepine intoxication after suffering cardiac arrest .
- Whitney Houston — She died due to atherosclerosis heart disease and cocaine use.
- Heath Ledger — Probably the most tragic loss for Hollywood. The reason behind his death was overdose of intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, Alprazolam and doxylamine.
- Bruce Lee — This martial arts expert died from an allergic reaction to the muscle relaxant
- Kurt Cobain — Kurt Cobain died of heroin and diazepam overdose on April 5, 1995.
- Jimi Hendrix — He died from an overdose of sleeping pills on September 18, 1970 in London
- Philip Seymour Hoffman — He died on February 2, 2014. By “acute mixed drug intoxication, including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine.”
- Janis Joplin — Famous singer, Janis Joplin died due to overdose of some very potent heroin.
- Cory Monteith — Cory Monteith died due to a mixed drug toxicity consisting of heroin and alcohol – and other drugs like codeine and morphine were also found in his body.
- Jim Morrison — Morrison died of a heroin overdose in Paris on July 3, 1971.
- Elvis Presley — Presley died due to overdose of an ethinamate, methaqualone, codeine and different barbiturates including amobarbital, pentobarbital and phenobarbital.
Again, these are just a few celebrities who have died from drug over-dose. There are actually thousands of them. Are we being too harsh on celebrities by saying that they should be held at a higher standard than the rest of us? Should we still honor these celebrities who failed to set good examples to their millions of fans? Do you believe that Hollywood needs to take a greater stand against drug usage when it comes to celebrities and demand that they of all people maintain healthy behavior? Because it seems like drug abuse is accepted and expected in the lives of celebrities. When this happens, more people are going to die from drug overdose.
To conclude, we are making a statement that celebrities have been given the stage. They have the opportunity to do so much good. Millions of fans look up to them. They contain amazing influence over millions of fans. Fans want to dress and talk they celebrities do. We want to act like they do and mimic their lives. If a celebrity says “JUMP”, their fans will surely JUMP. This is exactly why instead of abusing drugs, celebrities should be making a hug effort to warn their fans about drugs. They have the power and money to start organizations that could bring more awareness to people about the dangers of drugs. In a day & age where we are in a heroin epidemic and more people are dying than ever before….we should expect these celebrities to do more.